Calabash is fortunate to work with Jaxx Theatricals as our after-school theatre production company. This is our third year with Jaxx, and we’ll once again have two productions: one in the fall and another in the winter/spring. Some basic info about the program:
- Productions are open to all students in grades 1-5.
- Student to teacher ratio is 15:1.
- The cast rehearses Friday afternoons in the Calabash auditorium from 2:45-4:45pm.
- The final week of rehearsal is called “Tech Week”, when all technical elements of the show are incorporated (costumes, lighting, sound/mics, hair/make-up etc). During Tech Week, the cast rehearses EVERY DAY from 2:45-5:45pm (on Tuesday from 1:45-5:45pm). Cast members are expected to cancel all conflicting after-school activities for that week.
- The cast performs two times. For our fall show, they’ll perform once on Friday, 12/2 at 6:30pm, and again on Saturday, 12/3 at 1:30pm.
- Registration cost is $375, which covers all rehearsals, costumes, make-up, backstage professional assistance, etc. Your only responsibility is to ensure your child has undergarments (bike shorts and a tank top) and a pair of stage appropriate shoes for Tech Week (Jaxx will specify any color/type requirements).
- You can purchase DVDs from the final performance as well as professional photo books and a CD containing all professional photos taken during dress rehearsal, backstage and the show.
Our fall production for the 2016/17 school year will be “The Lion King”.
Enrollment is processed on a first come/first serve basis up to 45 students maximum with registration beginning in July. If your child would like to join the fun, be sure to register online at Jaxx’s Calabash site before the deadline of 8/24.
Once you register online, your child will need to prepare audition materials which will be available for download on the site via Dropbox. Auditions will take place on Friday, 8/26 in the Calabash auditorium. The audition will take approx 5 minutes and you can choose your time slot via SignUpGenius once you register online. All registered students will be in the show; the audition will simply help Jaxx with casting roles.
Tickets for the final performances will be available for purchase online in November for $10 each; seats are chosen as part of the ticketing process (similar to Ticketmaster). Seats in the first two rows for both the Friday & Saturday shows will be up for bid in the PTO’s Online Auction coming in October.
For more information about Jaxx, go to Jaxx Theatricals.
If you have any questions about our fantastic after-school theatre program, please contact our “cast mom” Claire Borsheim at firstname.lastname@example.org.