Over the years, the PTO has played an increasingly vital role in our school by filling the gap created by budget cuts and raising money to support programs that are essential to a well-rounded education. In the 2017/2018 school year, the Calabash PTO will fund:
- Our on-campus computer lab with a full-time instructor, providing TK-5 students with weekly age-appropriate lessons.
- Weekly PE classes led by the YMCA, who engage the kids in a variety of games and activities that get the kids excited about exercise and encourage outdoor play.
- A comprehensive arts education program, in partnership with the Calabash Governance Council. Areas of focus range from theatre/dramatic arts to ceramics, dance and music. Every child benefits from these programs; all grades are represented.
- Classroom improvements valued at a minimum of $500 in each classroom.
- All necessary supplies and equipment for our Science Lab.
- $1K field trip allowance for all grades (K/1 will have mobile field trips – the program comes to the school).
- Supplies and books for our school library.
- Supplies and plants for our campus fruit/vegetable garden.
- Several campus beautification projects focused on our garden, kinder yard, “big yard” (play yard for grades 1-5) and auditorium.
- $1K donation to the 5th grade fund, helping to offset the costs for the 5th grade trip to Camp Pali Outdoor Science Camp and end of year festivities.
If the above sounds like a lot, that’s because it is! Last year we raised ~ $106K in net income — a big accomplishment for such a small school. That money will fund all of the above programs for this coming school year at a total cost of $101K.
We don’t sit on our cash — we put it to work right away where it’s needed most. Each year, the PTO organizes a variety of fundraisers to raise the money required to pay for these programs for the following year. Our biggest source of funding comes from our Y.E.S. Program (Yearly Educational Support) whereby we ask families for a one-time annual donation of $300 per student. This donation amount is significantly less than the amount requested at other local public schools, but it’s a critical donation which allows us to support the vital enrichment programs our students need. In September we kick off “YES Month”, when we ask parents to make their pledge for the year. Installment plans are available and we can even charge your credit card on a monthly basis.
By banding together in support of our PTO, you’re helping to ensure all our Calabash kids have access to enrichment opportunities that prepare them for middle school and beyond. Calabash truly is “the gem of the valley”: a special neighborhood school with a top notch staff, warm and welcoming families and a PTO that is devoted to enriching our kids’ K-5 education.
Go Cubs Go!!